Thursday, April 21, 2011

Grilled Red Wine Pork Loin

I've been experimenting with marinades a lot lately. Usually putting together a liquid and spices that I think will compliment not only each other but what meat or veggie I'm going to marinate.

Last night we were pegged to have pork loin. Couldn't think for the life of me what to do with it other than the usual garlic pork and to be honest, while it's really tasty, I get sick of eating pork loin the same way over and over again. So I got this brilliant idea from a friend who has been cooking with red wine recently and thought "hmm, red wine would be awesome". But you know me, I had to take it one step further and up the steaks (or medallions in this case).

Here's the cast of experiment choices I made.




Minced onion, sea salt, coarsely ground black pepper, perfect pinch garlic and herb seasoning, garlic powder (yes, we like garlic), montreal steak seasoning, and Shannon Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. Oh, and the olive oil that I forgot to put in the picture but trust me, you'll need it so that the marinade "sticks" to the meat. You could also put in a tablespoon of lemon juice which gives it a hint of citrus flavor and helps to break down the meat so it becomes tender and accepts the marinade.

I started out with two pork loins (only took a photo of one) that I trimmed all of the excess fat off.



Then I cut them into medallions making sure to try and keep them all the same size and width so they would cook properly.



After cutting them I placed them in a zip lock bag and poured about 1/2 cup of the wine, 1/4 cup of water and 2 tbsp. of olive oil along with the spices.



Seal the bag tight and then mix all the ingredients around so they blend well together and cover all the meat. Then put it in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes.

***WARNING*** Do not freak out when you take the meat out and it's purple. That's just the wine coloring the meat. I purposely didn't take a photo of this step because you'd probably take one look and never come back here again or try this delicious recipe.

Once you take the pork out of the refrigerator place the medallions on your preheated grill on low and cook for about 10 minutes per side. Since grill temperatures vary you have to make sure that the pork is cooked all the way through. I don't want any sickies on my watch!



They are sooooo tasty. Trust me, if you like pork this will be a great addition to your summer grilling. I'm sure you could cut the meat in any way and since "the other white meat" is so versatile you could use different cuts as well.

Here are the specific instructions for making this recipe:

Ingredients

2 pork lions trimmed of fat (approx. 2 lbs each)
1/2 cup red wine (any type will do)
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp montreal steak seasoning
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp perfect pinch garlic and herb seasoning
2 tbsp minced onions
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1 gallon size zip lock bag

1. Trim all excess fat from pork loin.
2. Cut pork loin into medallions. Try to keep them uniform in size and width.
3. Place everything in the zip lock bag.
4. Shake bag to mix ingredients well.
5. Preheat grill to 350°.
6. Place in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
7. Take pork in marinade out of refrigerator and drain all excess liquid.
8. Place pork medallions onto grill and cook 10 minutes per side or until well done.

Buon appetito!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio